STORY: :: A British passenger recounts helping the man who died on the turbulence-hit Singapore Airlines flight

:: May 22, 2024

:: Singapore

:: Andrew Davies, Flight SQ321 Passenger

:: "There was an immediate kind of disbelief at first, and then the plane was very... it felt very level, and it was obvious the gentleman (passenger who died) needed some help. So I got up and helped some of the passengers get him out of his seat and we laid him on the floor near the bulkhead so that the medics on the airplane, there were some passengers who thankfully were medics, could administer CPR to the gentleman on the airplane. They gave CPR for, I think, about 20 minutes or so."

:: "My heart goes out to the to the wife of the man who lost his life. You know, she was... I spent a little bit of time talking to her and held her hand briefly. She was badly injured and she was naturally badly shocked as well. So, my heart goes out... my heart goes out to her."

:: "Every single cabin crew I saw was injured. I didn't see anybody who worked for Singapore Airlines that was not injured. There was one of the cabin crew in front of me who had... was in an awful lot of pain with his back. But he continued serving people and helping people and getting medical help as much as he was able to. I think the Singapore Airlines staff were pretty, you know, my heart goes out to them because they went through an awful ordeal as well."

Fifty four-year-old Andrew Davies, an event project manager from London, was on his way to New Zealand via Singapore for a business trip on Tuesday (May 21) when flight SQ321 was buffeted by turbulence that flung passengers and crew around the cabin, slamming some into the ceiling.

Davies said the cabin was left in "disbelief" after the incident, adding that he quickly helped bring the 73-year-old British passenger, who later died, to the front of the plane for medics to perform CPR, which he said lasted for roughly 20 minutes.

He also commended the Singapore Airlines cabin crew, who had seemingly kept their composure and continued to help passengers despite some getting injured themselves.